Verbal Reasoning Assessment Papers 8-9
Grade(s): Pre-school & Primary
Author(s): Alison Primrose
This book comprises 25 assessment papers, each with 30 questions. Each paper contains a range of question types including sequences, codes, analogies, grids and similarities. Within each group, questions can be phrased in different ways, and these tests introduce your child to many of the more frequently used styles. The simple layout is similar to that used in many exam papers, so the papers will help children to become familiar with the question types and to feel more confident tackling them in a test situation.
Verbal reasoning assesses a child's ability to see patterns and relationships at sentence, word and letter level. The questions test comprehension, vocabulary and spelling, as well as the ability to identify patterns and apply logic to solve simple problems. There is a strong correlation between language and literacy skills, and verbal reasoning, so reading, word games and spelling skills all contribute to success in verbal reasoning.
The papers can be used as timed assessment tests or worked through a little at a time for regular verbal reasoning practice. Initially, it is better to focus on accuracy, then, as your child gains confidence, working at speed can be developed. If you wish to set whole tests, allow 15 minutes for each paper. If your child completes the test in less time they should be encouraged to check their answers carefully.
Use the pull-out answer booklet to mark completed papers. Children can use the score boxes in the margin to make a note of their marks for each section. They then record their overall scores on the progress grid at the back of the book. It is a good idea to work through completed papers with your child, then you can identify any areas of weakness or confusion and discuss those questions together.
Always read the question instructions very carefully.
Work systematically through each question.
If you get stuck on one question, put a little mark by the number and then carry on, returning to it at the end of the test if you have time.
Avoid trying to do the tests when you are tired and sleepy.
* Evaluation copies are available to teachers only
You may also be interested in:
There are no reviews yet for this product. Why not write your own review?
Write a review
Do you fancy writing a review for ‘Verbal Reasoning Assessment Papers 8-9’? Before you start please take some time to read our submission hints.
- Be real: Give us a real flavour of your experience or point of view.
- Spell check: Well written reviews are more likely to get published.
- Be polite: Impolite reviews will never make it to the site. Obviously.
And here are some other things you agree to when you submit a review:
- For security reasons you cannot use the following characters: < > / % = @
- We cannot publish all reviews, we’ll choose the most interesting.
- We reserve the right to edit reviews for length or sense.
- Reviews may be published on this page, or elsewhere on this web site.
- We'll use your name beneath the review.
- Sorry, but we can't get into conversations about reviews.